PUBLICATIONS FOR GIFTED CHILDREN
Looking for books on parenting the gifted child or software and workbooks for extra enrichment? Visit these websites to order:
Universities recognize that gifted children need different learning opportunities to help them explore their interests but that are also tailored to the gifted and talented child. We here in Chicago are fortunate to have 2 universities that offer such programs. Some of McDade's students already participate in them. And don't forget to mention McDade Classical PTA referred you.
Northwestern University's Center for Talent Development
CTD has several programs available:
- NUMATS - Northwestern University's Academic Talent Search
- SEP - Saturday Enrichment Program
- AWE - Accelerated Weekend Experience
- GLL - Gifted LearningLinks
- Summer Program
- Parent Programs - click here for the Fall 2015 schedule
Northeastern Illinois University's Center for Gifted
NEIU has several programs available:
- Wondrous Workshops
- Sunday Wonders
- International Torrance Legacy Creativity Awards - visual arts, music composition, invention (Application process starts around March 1st.)
You are not alone! Other parents have and are going through the same challenges (and joys) of parenting the gifted child. From articles on executive functioning and twice-exceptional (2E) gifted children to workshops, conferences, books, magazines, and parent groups, you can find the information you need. Join one today!
- NAGC - National Association for Gifted Children
- IAGC - Illinois Association for Gifted Children
- CGCC - Chicago Gifted Community Center
- CEC - Council for Exceptional Children
- SENG - Supporting Emotional Needs of the Gifted (parents have expressed an interest in starting a Model Parent Group; if interested, please use the Contact Form to send us an email. Training is now available online.)
Do you know the answer to these questions?
- Are there any programs especially for gifted children?
- Are there books written about and for gifted children?
- Is there really such a thing as "executive functioning" and can I help my child improve his/hers?
- Do gifted children have different social/emotional needs?
- Are gifted children's brains wired differently?
- Does gifted education fall under special education?
Did you answer "Yes" to all of the questions? If not, fear not. This page is designed to bring together some of the resources available to help you navigate the world of parenting the gifted child (and resources for gifted adults as well).
Welcome to our GIFTED EDUCATION RESOURCES page!
BOOKS ABOUT GIFTED CHILDREN
Purchase these books through the AmazonSmile button to the right to help fund this page.
- Bright, Talented, & Black: A Guide for Families of African American Gifted Learners (9781935067023) by Dr. Joy Lawson Davis
- Gifted Bilingual Students: A Paradox? by Dr. Esther Kogan
- A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children by Dr. James T. Webb
- The Gifted Kids' Survival Guide: For Ages 10 & Under by Judy Galbraith, M.A.
*These books aren't specifically for gifted children, but organization for some seems to be a major challenge.
- Smart but Scattered: The Revolutionary "Executive Skills" Approach to Helping Kids Reach Their Potential by Dr. Peg Dawson and Dr. Richard Guare
- That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week by Dr. Ana Homayoun